Sunday, March 30, 2008

Accidents Will Happen



A couple of weeks ago, I was blogging about the photographer Tim Davis and mentioned in passing his series of photographs of paintings in museums in which the play of light gives the work new meaning as well as a new photographic context. Yesterday I was at the Met to hear Scott Schuman speak on a panel about fashion and blogging and with a few minutes to spare I took a quick spin around the second floor. Coming across one of my favorite paintings that had unexpectedly been relocated, I pulled out my camera and took a picture not realizing that the flash was on - a big no-no as the Met guard was quick to tell me. But in the instant I saw on the viewfinder what I had captured, I realized that I had made a Tim Davis.

Does this picture have any validity? Theoretically, and based on a position I've taken many times, I firmly believe the answer is no. As objectively as I can judge it, though, I actually think it's a pretty good picture, but without context it has little meaning. And what gives it at least some of its meaning is Tim's prior insight and work.

The attribution of whose picture is whose will be posted tomorrow.

No comments: