Thursday, December 20, 2007

Top Ten #6 - When the Light Goes: A Novel. By Larry McMurtry



I owe a thanks to the Bellport library who had this book on their new releases table otherwise I never would have picked it up. The latest and fourth installment
in Larry McMurtry’s Thalia series, which began with the 1966 “The Last Picture Show” and follows the wonderfully alliterative “Duane’s Depressed”, “When The Light Goes” picks up Duane Moore at 64, now widowed, semi-retired, and crisied in every way. When I told my friend the über literary agent Mark Reiter I was reading it, his comment was “Oh, the sex book!” and it’s certainly…frank. If that’s not enough to recommend it, it’s one of those books you can’t put down, and when you’ve finished it makes you want to go back and read all the others in the series.

No comments: