Thursday, March 10, 2011

Terry Richardson




I was surfing the web looking at Terry Richardson pictures when I came across these pictures that the photographer shot for Reebok last year. The brief was to revitalize the brand's "Classics Collection" with a campaign that would run in VICE Magazine and I think he did an amazing job. All he's working with is a girl in a room, rather basic clothing, and the sneakers, but look what he brought to the job with his humor and verve.

The legendary art director Alex Brodovich famously instructed his student Richard Avedon to "Astonish me!". I've always thought my mantra would be more about delight, but originality, energy, wit and surprise are in there too. Maybe Brodovich did say it best.




A further example of Richardson's work can now be seen around New York on these billboards of Richardson's new campaign for the skateboard and clothing company Supreme. Chelsea being Chelsea, these pictures have now been integrated into street art by an unknown artist who's been pasting up half-tone details of famous artist's portraits including the famous Mapplethorpe self-portrait. I'm pretty sure Robert would have approved of both Lady Gaga and the street work.








No comments: