Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How To Stay Afloat



First - many thanks for your comments and best wishes. I published all your comments, good and bad, and other than "Anonymous" who wrote to accuse me of being defensive and compromised by financial self-interest, the points were well taken. I write about what I think is good regardless of the source and only publish contrary opinions that I think are worth airing.

Today I'm highlighting a forthcoming auction of photographs from the estate of Dan Berley. (The auction is being held at Rago Arts and Auction Center in Lambertville, New Jersey.) Berley was a real estate developer whose main avocation was collecting - which he did from the early 60s on. In today's troubled economic time, there's not much spare cash around, but it's worth pointing out that a sale from a minor auction house (sorry, Rago), held outside of the week of the big photo auctions, and with low estimates, presents a buyer's dream. From an investment point of view this looks like a great opportunity. (I was not paid to say this.)

Anyway, here are some of my picks from the 300 lots for sale. (Above - Lartigue's "Zissou in his Tire Boat" Estimate $1000 – $2000.)

One of my favorite Lartigue stories involves a conversation between Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud as reported to me by the late Bruce Bernard, my predecessor as picture editor of the London Sunday Times Magazine. The pair were discussing a major Lartigue show they had each just seen and Freud was enthusing about the work. "My dear Lucien," he began, "It's quite remarkable. This man can actually photograph happiness!" Bacon looked up from his beer with a look of derision. "Damn silliness if you ask me."

Of course both were right. Lartigue, the great prodigy of photography, blessed with a sharpshooters eye and a wealthy and sporty family who were always having fun, could photograph both happiness and silliness, as well as all kinds of love and desire, and make it all sing. The picture above is one of the silly ones but it never fails to make me smile.


A rare Cartier-Bresson taken in Mexico c. 1963. Estimate $6,000 - $9,000



One from a lot of 3 views of New York (all good) taken by Charles Rotkin in the 1940s. $1,000 - $1,500.



Marilyn Monroe c. 1945 by Andre de Dienes. $2,000 - $4,000.



A wonderful (but tiny) Karl Struss of the Flatiron Building. $3,000 - $5,000.



Ruth Orkin's portrait of Woody Allen at the Met. 1963. $3,000 - $4,000.



Ray Metzker. Chicago, 1983. $4,000 - $6,000. (This seems high, but it's a strong picture.)



A 1969 Garry Winogrand estimated at $2,000 - $3,000.



Stephen Shore. 1974. $4,000 - $6,000.


No comments: