Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hope




It’s been worrying these last few weeks to follow the polls and listen to the news and hear the constant stream of negativity and distortion from the right. Democrats have become so accustomed of late to having defeat snatched from the jaws of victory that there’s an underlying sense of uncertainty as we approach election day which I hope is only a precautionary defense mechanism – preparation for an outcome that will not come about.

So here’s the good news. This past weekend I was out at our house in Long Island which is in Suffolk County, a generally Republican area. To my surprise, however, as I drove around I only saw Obama lawn signs, and when I went out for a run I came across this beautiful tree towering over yet another Obama sign. So I high-tailed it back to get my camera and take what felt to me like a symbolic picture of a season of hope and change.

The concept of an intelligent, thoughtful, inclusive, forward thinking, and positive President, who happens to be African-American, is so true to the real nature of this country that it is my fervent hope that before all those beautiful leaves fall off this tree there will be a new spirit lifting this country.



No comments: