Friday, September 12, 2008

guide 6


While Joel Sternfeld tries his best to deliberately avoid the picturesque in his photographs of a field in central Massachusetts, I was of course most drawn to the more picturesque of his un-picturesque pictures. Sternfeld was being televised as I walked into the gallery (Luhring Augustine) so it seemed a nice change of pace to photograph that!








And finally ... phew! ... my last stop at Michael Mazzeo Gallery (formerly PEER) where they were still hanging the group show "How I Spent My Summer Vacation". What particularly caught my eye was the bottom picture by Cara Phillips - on one hand a head shot taken with ultra-violet light to reveal the damage sun can inflict to the skin, but on the other hand a visceral, luminous, interesting, and original piece!





No comments: